Friday, October 8, 2010
BJCP Style #3: European Amber Lager
Specifically, style 3B: Oktoberfest/Märzen.
I decided to do a judging/tasting myself.
I told Mike of the extra beers he'd purchased I wanted to take the Left Hand and the Becks. I'd have to say though, my favorite was probably the Great Lakes. I thought Becks was the best German Oktoberfest, but I wouldn't call it traditional. I definitely like a lot of malt flavor and aroma in my Oktoberfest. I'll give honorable mention to Bell's as I thought they had the coolest Oktoberfest bottle, the most American craft brew that represented the true German style, and a pretty good taste as well.
As an overview, I'd say that it is really easy to forget how malty Oktoberfests taste. And Malt isn't the kind of flavor or aroma that is very overpowering if you aren't familiar with it. But malt is a great taste/flavor/aroma.
I think there is a notable difference in the way German's brew their Oktoberfests and the way Americans do. In Germany (Bavaria) the Oktoberfests are brewed to be consumed in large quantities en masse. (and also in eine maß!) In America, most people are only going to be drinking the beer in small quantities and as such want more flavor and heavier beers.
The Germans sure have their beer well-refined after the half century or so of brewing experience they have under their belts. But in 300 years, I've got to say if Beer continues to get better in America at the same pace it has since I've been alive (thanks to the only good thing Carter did which was sign a law in 1978 into the books allowing home brewing) we will easily have better tasting beers than the germans had after 500 years of brewing. But maybe that will have something to do with the technology and knowledge of science that existed at the beginning and ending of the two different time periods. Anyways, I digress.
One thing I did notice was that only hofbräu had a noticeable head on its beer. I don't know if this was b/c of the size of the pourings or b/c of the difference in Hofbräu's idea of Oktoberfest compared to others.
Without further ado (NOT ADIEU),
Here are the notes and results:
#1 Beck's Oktoberfest
Color: a tad dark. Amberish to red orange
Aroma: Good malty aroma - light (not strong)
Taste: not too sweet. Good complex malt flavor.
Clean finish. Maybe a little over carbonated.


#2 Ayinger Oktoberfest Märzen
Color: Much lighter than Beck's, orangeish gold
Aroma: Malt aroma is weaker. Smells sweet, fruity?
Taste: Stronger malt flavor. Not as complex. Finish was not as clean. Bolder, up front flavor. Sweeter than Beck's.


#3 Hofbrau Oktoberfest
Color: Very light. Gold. Almost like a pilsner. Lot of head compared to others.
Aroma: Very hofbrauish. Alcoholy. Some malt. No hops.
Taste: Very light malt taste. Less carbonation than other German. Tast almost like drinking nothing. Perfect for a full 2 litres.


#4 Moerlein 5th & Vine Oktoberfest
Color: Bourbony...Dark Amber
Aroma: Light aroma. Clean. Not very malty.
Taste: Sweet. Good malt flavor. Not very complex. Creamy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.


#5 Great Lakes Oktoberfest
Color: Light Amber to Orange-ish Gold.
Aroma: Stronger malt aroma. Complex.
Taste: Very Strong malt flavor. Long complex flavors. Medium carbonation. Sweet. Nice Flavor.


#6 Samuel Adam's Oktoberfest
Color: Lighter than Moerlain. Orangeish Amber.
Aroma: Very light aroma. Some alcohol. Some malt?
Taste: Good malt flavors. Toasty. Sweet flavor. Not a dry finish. Not as clean.


#7 Magic Hat Hex Ourtoberfest
Color: light amber / dark gold
Aroma: light. bit of a malty after-smell.
Taste: Tangy upfront flavor, hard to describe. Malt not very prominent. Much drier than others. Low carbonation.


#8 BBC Oktoberfest
Color: Dark amber. Well-filtered.
Aroma: Malty aroma, but light and complex. Not heavy.
Taste: Kind of sour? This may be a bad batch. Cleaner. The malt would taste good here, but taste is too "off" to be praised. [Update] I learned from the BBC 4th St that none of the bars have gotten kegs of this yet. I don't know if this is b/c of the Clay st/St Matthews split or b/c of funny tasting beer from early batches.


#9 Bell's Oktoberfest (nice orangey bottle)
Color: More traditional German Oktoberfest color. Light orange gold. No turbidity.
Aroma: Very heavy malt aroma. Maybe some toasted malt.
Taste: Very Clean. Nice mouthfeel. Nicely balanced. Good Germany Oktoberfest.


#10 Schlafly Oktoberfest
Color: Very Orange-Gold, little head, a little more cloudy.
Aroma: Surprisingly tast malt aroma.
Taste: Very strong malt flavors. Quite a bit of sweetness, but balanced enough. Very good mouthfeel. Finish not quite as clean as some others.


#11 Left Hand Oktoberfest Märzen Lager
Color: Light Amberish, more dark goldy Orange.
Aroma: Medium to high malt aroma. Not complex, but definitely present.
Taste: Light up front, lingering complex malts. Very low carbonation, creamiest mouthfeel. Clean finish.
(for Pablo)


3B. Oktoberfest
Aroma: Rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light to moderate toasted malt aroma is often present. Clean lager aroma with no fruity esters or diacetyl. No hop aroma. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.
Appearance: Dark gold to deep orange-red color. Bright clarity, with solid, off-white, foam stand.
Flavor: Initial malty sweetness, but finish is moderately dry. Distinctive and complex maltiness often includes a toasted aspect. Hop bitterness is moderate, and noble hop flavor is low to none. Balance is toward malt, though the finish is not sweet. Noticeable caramel or roasted flavors are inappropriate. Clean lager character with no diacetyl or fruity esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, with a creamy texture and medium carbonation. Smooth. Fully fermented, without a cloying finish.
Overall Impression: Smooth, clean, and rather rich, with a depth of malt character. This is one of the classic malty styles, with a maltiness that is often described as soft, complex, and elegant but never cloying.
Comments: Domestic German versions tend to be golden, like a strong Pils-dominated Helles. Export German versions are typically orange-amber in color, and have a distinctive toasty malt character. German beer tax law limits the OG of the style at 14?P since it is a vollbier, although American versions can be stronger. “Fest” type beers are special occasion beers that are usually stronger than their everyday counterparts.
History: Origin is credited to Gabriel Sedlmayr, based on an adaptation of the Vienna style developed by Anton Dreher around 1840, shortly after lager yeast was first isolated. Typically brewed in the spring, signaling the end of the traditional brewing season and stored in cold caves or cellars during the warm summer months. Served in autumn amidst traditional celebrations.
Ingredients: Grist varies, although German Vienna malt is often the backbone of the grain bill, with some Munich malt, Pils malt, and possibly some crystal malt. All malt should derive from the finest quality two-row barley. Continental hops, especially noble varieties, are most authentic. Somewhat alkaline water (up to 300 PPM), with significant carbonate content is welcome. A decoction mash can help develop the rich malt profile.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.050 – 1.057
IBUs: 20 – 28 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 7 – 14 ABV: 4.8 – 5.7%
Commercial Examples: Paulaner Oktoberfest, Ayinger Oktoberfest-Märzen, Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest, Hofbräu Oktoberfest, Victory Festbier, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, Spaten Oktoberfest, Capital Oktoberfest, Gordon Biersch Märzen, Goose Island Oktoberfest, Samuel Adams Oktoberfest (a bit unusual in its late hopping)
I decided to do a judging/tasting myself.
I told Mike of the extra beers he'd purchased I wanted to take the Left Hand and the Becks. I'd have to say though, my favorite was probably the Great Lakes. I thought Becks was the best German Oktoberfest, but I wouldn't call it traditional. I definitely like a lot of malt flavor and aroma in my Oktoberfest. I'll give honorable mention to Bell's as I thought they had the coolest Oktoberfest bottle, the most American craft brew that represented the true German style, and a pretty good taste as well.
As an overview, I'd say that it is really easy to forget how malty Oktoberfests taste. And Malt isn't the kind of flavor or aroma that is very overpowering if you aren't familiar with it. But malt is a great taste/flavor/aroma.
I think there is a notable difference in the way German's brew their Oktoberfests and the way Americans do. In Germany (Bavaria) the Oktoberfests are brewed to be consumed in large quantities en masse. (and also in eine maß!) In America, most people are only going to be drinking the beer in small quantities and as such want more flavor and heavier beers.
The Germans sure have their beer well-refined after the half century or so of brewing experience they have under their belts. But in 300 years, I've got to say if Beer continues to get better in America at the same pace it has since I've been alive (thanks to the only good thing Carter did which was sign a law in 1978 into the books allowing home brewing) we will easily have better tasting beers than the germans had after 500 years of brewing. But maybe that will have something to do with the technology and knowledge of science that existed at the beginning and ending of the two different time periods. Anyways, I digress.
One thing I did notice was that only hofbräu had a noticeable head on its beer. I don't know if this was b/c of the size of the pourings or b/c of the difference in Hofbräu's idea of Oktoberfest compared to others.
Without further ado (NOT ADIEU),
Here are the notes and results:
#1 Beck's Oktoberfest
Color: a tad dark. Amberish to red orange
Aroma: Good malty aroma - light (not strong)
Taste: not too sweet. Good complex malt flavor.
Clean finish. Maybe a little over carbonated.


#2 Ayinger Oktoberfest Märzen
Color: Much lighter than Beck's, orangeish gold
Aroma: Malt aroma is weaker. Smells sweet, fruity?
Taste: Stronger malt flavor. Not as complex. Finish was not as clean. Bolder, up front flavor. Sweeter than Beck's.


#3 Hofbrau Oktoberfest
Color: Very light. Gold. Almost like a pilsner. Lot of head compared to others.
Aroma: Very hofbrauish. Alcoholy. Some malt. No hops.
Taste: Very light malt taste. Less carbonation than other German. Tast almost like drinking nothing. Perfect for a full 2 litres.

#4 Moerlein 5th & Vine Oktoberfest
Color: Bourbony...Dark Amber
Aroma: Light aroma. Clean. Not very malty.
Taste: Sweet. Good malt flavor. Not very complex. Creamy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.


#5 Great Lakes Oktoberfest
Color: Light Amber to Orange-ish Gold.
Aroma: Stronger malt aroma. Complex.
Taste: Very Strong malt flavor. Long complex flavors. Medium carbonation. Sweet. Nice Flavor.


#6 Samuel Adam's Oktoberfest
Color: Lighter than Moerlain. Orangeish Amber.
Aroma: Very light aroma. Some alcohol. Some malt?
Taste: Good malt flavors. Toasty. Sweet flavor. Not a dry finish. Not as clean.


#7 Magic Hat Hex Ourtoberfest
Color: light amber / dark gold
Aroma: light. bit of a malty after-smell.
Taste: Tangy upfront flavor, hard to describe. Malt not very prominent. Much drier than others. Low carbonation.


#8 BBC Oktoberfest
Color: Dark amber. Well-filtered.
Aroma: Malty aroma, but light and complex. Not heavy.
Taste: Kind of sour? This may be a bad batch. Cleaner. The malt would taste good here, but taste is too "off" to be praised. [Update] I learned from the BBC 4th St that none of the bars have gotten kegs of this yet. I don't know if this is b/c of the Clay st/St Matthews split or b/c of funny tasting beer from early batches.


#9 Bell's Oktoberfest (nice orangey bottle)
Color: More traditional German Oktoberfest color. Light orange gold. No turbidity.
Aroma: Very heavy malt aroma. Maybe some toasted malt.
Taste: Very Clean. Nice mouthfeel. Nicely balanced. Good Germany Oktoberfest.


#10 Schlafly Oktoberfest
Color: Very Orange-Gold, little head, a little more cloudy.
Aroma: Surprisingly tast malt aroma.
Taste: Very strong malt flavors. Quite a bit of sweetness, but balanced enough. Very good mouthfeel. Finish not quite as clean as some others.


#11 Left Hand Oktoberfest Märzen Lager
Color: Light Amberish, more dark goldy Orange.
Aroma: Medium to high malt aroma. Not complex, but definitely present.
Taste: Light up front, lingering complex malts. Very low carbonation, creamiest mouthfeel. Clean finish.


Comments:
<< Home
Awesome post, David!
Note on the BBC Oktoberfest: Even though the bar on 4th street told you they haven't released any kegs to other bars yet, I can SWEAR that I had a pint of the BBC Oktoberfest at the Bristol on Hurstbourne Ln. I saw it on tap, verified that they had it, and they said they just got it in the day before (Sep 29th). It was tasty. Come to think of it, it was a lot more tasty than the bottle we tried. I should have recalled this to verify that we had a bad batch. Whoops. Anyway, if you're going to try some more Oktober-brews before the stores stop selling them, let me know! I'm always down.
Note on the BBC Oktoberfest: Even though the bar on 4th street told you they haven't released any kegs to other bars yet, I can SWEAR that I had a pint of the BBC Oktoberfest at the Bristol on Hurstbourne Ln. I saw it on tap, verified that they had it, and they said they just got it in the day before (Sep 29th). It was tasty. Come to think of it, it was a lot more tasty than the bottle we tried. I should have recalled this to verify that we had a bad batch. Whoops. Anyway, if you're going to try some more Oktober-brews before the stores stop selling them, let me know! I'm always down.
#12 Your Vomit
Color: Cloudy Dark-Gold, poorly filtered.
Aroma: Like hotdogs
Taste: Like hotdogs. Boiled hotdogs, not grilled. Terrible terrible taste.
Color: Cloudy Dark-Gold, poorly filtered.
Aroma: Like hotdogs
Taste: Like hotdogs. Boiled hotdogs, not grilled. Terrible terrible taste.
#13 Taste In My Mouth After Michigan Loses
Color: Light Amber, streaks of red
Aroma: Traces of Ommegang Witte, with hints of white cheddar
Taste: Like Sparty eject-ulated on my face. White Cheddar Cheez-Its fill emptiness left by poor tackling. Saltiness comes from iron - biting tongue so hard it bled. Ommegang Witte helps numb the after-taste of a soon to be slaughter at the hands of Iowa. Needs more bourbon.
Post a Comment
Color: Light Amber, streaks of red
Aroma: Traces of Ommegang Witte, with hints of white cheddar
Taste: Like Sparty eject-ulated on my face. White Cheddar Cheez-Its fill emptiness left by poor tackling. Saltiness comes from iron - biting tongue so hard it bled. Ommegang Witte helps numb the after-taste of a soon to be slaughter at the hands of Iowa. Needs more bourbon.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home
